Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Dadu in the News

Smartmom's friend, Dadu, was featured in a Village Voice article by Elizabeth Zimmer about Echo (echonyc.com), the web community that's been around since 1989. She asked a variety of "Echoids" about their New Year's resolutions. The following is Dadu's interview:


On Echo since 1991. Echo means a lot to me. I found my wife there, for one thing, but I also went to lots of fun parties, ran the Echo gopher service, participated in art shows, and even got a job or two. I got to know at least 50 of the people behind the handles.

Your New Year's resolutions for 2004:

To use my considerable unemployed time to branch out artistically and try to make some money at it.

Did you follow them?

Yes and no!

Results?

I set up a new website, jhhl.net, specifically to present my artistic works and philosophy. I went to a few seminars about setting myself up as an artist. I probably need more of them. My wife and I created a number of multimedia works together and presented them at an evening at Deep Listening Space in Kingston, New York. Now we're submitting the animation we did to various film festivals. So, the art part is progressing, but the money part isn't.

Resolutions for 2005:


Keep trying to establish an artistic life, further clarify what I really want, gain the ability to express those needs, and, uh, get a job.


To read the rest of the article go to: http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0501,zimmer2,59758,15.html

1 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger Jhhl said...

SmartMom:
Here's the original 1st paragraph, which gave a little more detail:

I had been on a lot of other BBS systems - Stacy Horn found me in the WELL's New York conference. ECHO means a lot to me . I found my wife, Nancy "ngraham" Graham (a/k/a/ Upstate Pal) there, for one thing, but I also went to lots of fun parties, ran the ECHO gopher service, participated in art shows and even got a job or two.
The big contrast with ECHO is that I got to know at least fifty of the people behind the handles and often bumped into them, seeing as how we often moved in similar
circles.

Thanks for reposting that little interview - the others were nice to read also!
-- Dadu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home