Saturday, December 25, 2004

Happy Chrismakah

Coming to you from her outpost in Northern California, Smartmom is once again moved to "publish" a post by Mamainwaiting.blogspot.com.

In this one, MIW expresses so truthfully what it feels like to be a Jew who likes Christmas. Happy Chrismakah to you MIW. And a bloggy Christmas to all of you dear readerss.

It is Xmas morning and although I am Jewish I still find something holy in today. Perhaps it is because my family celebrated Xmas when we were children. Yes, we were those terrible kind of Jews who enjoyed all the fun and material parts of Xmas - the presents, Santa Claus and candy canes. Of course a tree was out of the question because no right-minded Jewish family would have a tree. That was the height of goyishness. I remember being told by someone, certainly not my parents, that a lighted Xmas tree represented the burning of the Jews - really.

I still have special memories of Xmas morning. I even remember my parents decorating our apartment with beautiful little tin foil bells. I also remember a certain Xmas when I was 7 or 8 years old, receiving a Kodak instamatic camera. Apparently, I jumped into my parent's bed saying, "He got me exactly what I wanted!"

Some of my happiest childhood memories, perhaps the happiest, are of Xmas mornings. The splendid array of gifts wrapped in a plethora of papers, tied with colorful ribbons piled up high in our living room. I have to admit that I always thought Hannukah was second best. Somehow lighting those candles for 8 days just didn't measure up to the magis of Xmas morning, Jew or not.

I guess that's why the term Chrismakah really appeals to me. I think I'm just tired of feeling guilty for being a Jew who likes Xmas.

3 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger mamainwaiting said...

thanks you SM for publishing my post. It was a nice Chrismakah gift. Hope you're having a great time out west... please keep blogging. On a different note. I love the Damien Rice CD. The song from the film "Closer" - "The Blower's daughter" is incredible and so perfect for that film. Mik Nichols must have died when he heard it. thanks.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Udge said...

Chrismakah on the beach? Nice idea, much as I love being here in the snow at minus 25°C.

All the best, Smartmom, for you and yours, and may 2005 treat you all kindly. Keep on blogging!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger The Home Theater Wizard said...

I just read your blog – very nice. I made myself a blog, I have a

href="http://www.themalloftheworld.com/deneskollar">christmas gifts
site. It pretty much covers christmas gifts

related stuff. Check it out if you have the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home