Sunday, November 21, 2004

How'd It Go?

For those of you following the saga of Teen Spirit's journey through the New York City public high school admission process, you're probably wondering how his interview at the school he wants to go to went?

Saturday morning brigh and early, the family drove to the Upper West Side from Brooklyn. Teen Spirit was excited and chatty during the ride. Just about every word out of his mouth was a gem. Smartmom kept saying, "Tell the interviewer that -- that'll sound good. Write that in your essay."

(Moms are soooooooooooo annoying. Even smart moms.)

They arrived at the school at 9:30 a.m. for the 10:00 appointment -- a full half hour EARLY. An extremely nice woman standing at the door said that Teen Spirit was the first one to arrive -- THE FIRST. He handed her his portfolio and she instructed Teen Spirit and his family to wait until 10:00 in the school's drama studio where there were Krispy Kreme donuts and coffee. The coffee was a nice touch for the parents. Teen Spirit said, "Getting here first really shows them how much I want to go here."

The family waited as other nervous-looking families arrived. Hepcat and Smartmom paced the halls reading interesting signs on the bulletin boards. They were especially intrigued by a sign that said: "We Know You Are a Doodler and We Want Your Doodles!" Teen Spirt, an inveterate doodler, liked that one too.

Smartmom was glad that Teen Spirit's interview was scheduled on a day that was supposed to be for Manhattan kids. It was lucky they didn't have to see their Brooklyn competition. The school will only take a small number of Park Slope kids and Smartmom might have wanted to poke their eyes out. Roar

(This process is really bringing out Smartmom's rather intense competitive streak.)

OSFO and Teen Spirit huddled together in the Drama Studio drawing in their notebooks. OSFO, a stalwart supporter of all things Teen Spirit is rooting for him all the way. She cuddled with him, she hugged him, she held his hand. She wanted to wait in the Drama Studio while Teen Spirit took the test but Smartmom and Hepcat were finally able to convince her to leave the building.

How did he do? Hard to say. Smartmom and Hepcat really have no idea. Smartmom spent the hour and a half that Teen Spirit was in the school shopping at Whole Foods buying ingredients for a Thanksgiving dinner that can't be beat. Hepcat and OSFO browsed in the kid's department at Borders Books.

At 11:30, they met up with Teen Spirt out on the street in front of the school. He said it went well but he seemed quiet, pensive, not exactly bursting with information. Who can blame him? After all the build-up, the stress, the preparation, the essay, the talk about what he should say if they ask... -- Teen Spirit knew it was time to chill.

And so the waiting begins. Like Tom Petty sings, "The waiting is the hardest part." If you've got friends in high places (the universe, the New York City Board of Education, wherever) put in a good word for Teen Spirt. He wholeheartedly deserves it.


At 7:35 PM, Blogger mrs. cleavage said...

Sweetieboo & Workerbee have their fingers crossed for Teen Spirit (SB is a huuuuge admirer of TS by the way). We feel like we're going through this with you & are confidentTS will not be disappointed. Best of luck from us both.

At 8:08 AM, Blogger Little Light said...

I'm going to start praying for TS (and you). Good luck.


Post a Comment

<< Home